Renting Your Property


Meet with Vicary & Co for a Lettings Appraisal. This service is free of charge and with no obligation. Each property is different, thus, when assessing a rental value, we take into account its location, accommodation, the property condition and current demand, along with our knowledge of other properties currently on the market and historic information on rents achieved. During the appraisal we will advise you of any action you could take to help maximise the rental income and the property’s desirability to potential tenants.

Preparation of the Property

You can choose to let your property either furnished, part furnished or unfurnished.  We can advise you on whether to furnish or not, and, if you choose to, to what level.  However, on experience most perspective tenants prefer unfurnished.  We advise that as a minimum the property has reasonably good quality carpets / flooring, curtain tracks or poles and light fittings.  Interior decorations should ideally be plain, light and neutral, and in good condition.  Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc should be removed from the property, especially those of real or sentimental value.  All cupboards and shelf space should be left clear for the Tenants own use.


Tenants are required to maintain the gardens to a reasonable standard — it’s beneficial to both the Landlord / Agent and Tenant if the gardens are neat, tidy and rubbish free, with any lawns cut at the commencement of a Tenancy.

From 1st June 2019 Landlords cannot require a tenant to pay for gardening unless this has been included as part of the rent.

For more information please contact Vicary & Co for our Guide for Landlords and Terms of Engagement

SAFETY REGULATIONS – The legal essentials

Energy Performance Certificate

All properties for rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate or “EPC” before marketing can take place. Once obtained an Energy Performance Certificate is currently valid for ten years.  As from the 1st April 2018, all residential let properties must have a minimum EPC rating of E or above. A copy of the EPC must be made available to the tenants before entering into a tenancy agreement.  If you do not have an EPC for your property, Vicary & Co can arrange an EPC accessor to visit your property.

Gas Safety

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations amended in 1998, landlords have a legal obligation to make sure all gas pipework, appliances, fittings and flues are safe to use and maintained in a safe condition.  Every gas appliance and flue MUST be tested for gas safety EVERY 12 MONTHS.  A Gas Safety Record must be provided to existing tenants within 28 days of the annual safety check or to new tenants before they move in.  The landlord must keep a record of all servicing and repairs, together with issued safety records for a period of 6 years.  All gas appliance installation, maintenance and safety checks MUST be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.  Vicary & Co can arrange this for you.

Electrical Safety

Requirements for Fixed Installations

In respect of the Government’s new legislation passed through Parliament, all agents and landlords must now ensure Electrical Installation inspection and testing is carried out for all NEW tenancies in England that will commence from July 1st 2020, or from April 1st 2021 for existing tenancies.

It will be a mandatory requirement for ALL agents and landlords to ensure the fixed electrical installation in their Property (s) is inspected and tested at least every five years by a qualified person.

The regulations also state that an agent or landlord is required to obtain a report of the results of the inspection and test and supply it to each named tenant within the tenancy agreement within 28 days and retain a copy until the next inspection is due.

Upon request, the report must be provided to the local housing authority within seven days, and a private landlord must supply a copy of the last report to any new tenant before occupation, or any prospective tenant within 28 days of a request from that prospective tenant.

Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

From October 2015 it is a legal requirement for all properties for rent to fit a smoke detector alarm on every floor of their property that is adapted or used as residential accommodation, unless the property has a full fire alarm system.  A carbon monoxide detector alarm is required in any room that contains a gas, oil, or solid fuel burning appliance.  These must be checked and working when a tenant takes possession of the property, and the tenant is responsible for the on-going testing / replacement of batteries if required for all detector alarms.

Furniture and Furnishings

The Furniture and Furnishing (Fire) (Safety) (amendment) Regulations 2010 require that all upholstered furniture and soft furnishings in rented accommodation must comply with current regulations.  The regulations cover Beds, headboards, mattresses, bed-bases and pillows, Sofa beds and futons, Sofas, armchairs, footstools and padded seats, Loose and stretch furniture covers, Nursery furniture, Garden furniture suitable for use indoors, Scatter cushions.

The Regulations do not apply to furniture intended for export and furniture manufactured prior to 1950.

The Regulations do not apply to sleeping bags, bedclothes (including duvets), loose covers for mattresses (i.e. mattress protectors), pillowcases, curtains and carpets. However, it is important to note that these products are covered under General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (GPSR).


For more information please contact Vicary & Co for our Guide for Landlords and Terms of Engagement


Whilst there are many different aspects to renting property, obviously one of the most crucial is finding a suitable and reliable tenant.

It is in the landlord’s best interest that much care is taken in the tenant selection process.  Our tenant selection methods are thorough and, combined with our multi-faceted marketing approach and a prominent Town Centre location, we can ensure a good number and high standard of prospective tenants for your property. The type of tenant sought is dependent upon the type of property offered. In addition, you are able to specify the criteria that a tenant needs to meet.


Vicary & Co carry out strict referencing procedures using an independent referencing company and the criteria they dictate to give us an understanding of the prospective tenant’s personal and financial circumstances along with previous landlord / agent references.  In the event of an adverse report we will discuss further options with you.

For more information please contact Vicary & Co for our Guide for Landlords and Terms of Engagement


Vicary & Co recommend that it is essential to have a comprehensive, tailored tenancy agreement and detailed Inventory of Contents and Schedule of Condition prior to the commencement of each new tenancy.

Tenancy Agreement

Vicary & Co use a tenancy agreement which has been carefully tailored to your property and to comply with standard mortgage lender requirements, to protect your right to possession at the end of a fixed tenancy term or if in a periodic tenancy, and to ensure that you have redress if your property is not being looked after by your tenants.

Inventory of Contents and Schedule of Condition

It is very important that an Inventory of Contents and Schedule of Condition be prepared in order to avoid misunderstanding or dispute at the end of the tenancy.  Without such safeguards, it will be impossible for the Landlord to prove any loss, damage or significant deterioration of the property or contents.  Vicary & Co produce very detailed Inventory and Schedule of Condition prior to the commencement of the tenancy ‘in-house’ in a bespoke style/format. By providing this service ‘in-house’ we build up and retain a good knowledge of your property.

Protection of Deposits

A property security deposit is paid by the tenant at the start of a tenancy to safeguard against damage.

From 1 June 2019 for properties with Rent under £50,000 per year the deposit is now capped at 5 Weeks Rent per Tenancy.

The deposit must be registered with a government-back Deposit Protection Scheme within 30 days of receipt of the deposit from the tenant.  Vicary & Co use the Deposit Protection Service (DPS).  Landlords should be aware that there are significant penalties for failing to comply with deposit protection requirements.


Landlords should provide one set of keys for each tenant.  For fully Managed properties Vicary & Co require an additional full set of keys, which will be held securely in our office, in case of emergencies.

Council Tax and Utility Bills

For most tenancies the tenants are also responsible for the payment of their Council Tax, water usage and waste, electricity and gas, oil fuel, LPG, along with telephone bills and TV license.

Vicary & Co take meters reading for water, gas, electricity and oil at the commencement of a tenancy, and also when tenants vacate the property, notifying the relevant utility companies of the readings and who the responsibility for payment falls to.  Vicary & Co also notify the relevant Council Tax authority.  Tenants are responsible for organizing and setting up the payment for their own TV license and telephone usage.

Landlord Buildings / Contents Insurance and Tenant Contents Insurance

It is important that the landlord has adequate insurance to cover the property and any contents during the tenancy.

By contacting your insurance company, you can advise them that you are intending to let your property and therefore continue to maintain your building’s cover.

We will, of course, notify you of any accidents to your property that may involve any expense or insurance claim. The exception of this, of course, is in an emergency situation. In this case, we will take the necessary steps to protect the property which may not be covered by policy. If this is the case, we will charge the resulting amount to your account.

We suggest that at the least a landlords insurance policy includes:

  • Contents cover on a “new for old” basis.
  • Insurance against loss of rent for any period the property is uninhabitable.
  • Third party & Public liability.

Liability under section 3 of the defective act 1972.

Accidental damage cover to protect against and damage caused by the tenant to either the property or contents therein, including carpets, curtains, light fittings etc.

Tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents and personal belongings.

Leasehold Properties

If your property is Leasehold, your lease will specify whether or not you need to obtain consent of the freeholder for your proposed letting.


UK Resident Landlords  are liable to tax from rental income.  Vicary & Co advise landlords to Consult with their accountant.

Non UK Resident Landlords   Overseas landlords are responsible for obtaining their own exemption certificate.  The Non-Resident scheme is for taxing the UK rental income of persons who reside outside the UK for six months or more.  If you are classed as a non-resident landlord you still have to pay UK income tax on rental income from your UK rental property.

For more information please contact Vicary & Co for our Guide for Landlords and Terms of Engagement